[Samba] Windows 2000 printing to public printer

Etienne Tourigny et at omeo.ca
Wed Feb 12 15:52:40 GMT 2003

Humm.. I see.  In the smb.conf man page it explains that the "Access
Denied; Unable to connect" error occurs when the printer is considered a
local one (because of local drivers) and the user trying to access the
printer has Administrative rights.  This happens even if a user belongs
to the "Users" group in Windows 2000 (locally).  But if the drivers are
on the server there should be no problem.

Am I right to say that if one uses a print$ section (even if there are
no drivers per say on the server) then administrative users will not get
the "Access Denied; Unable to connect" error, since Windows 2000
considers it a Network printer?

Final point I just realized, is that even if you get this error you can
still print on the samba printer, but you won't be able to see it's
status.

Thanks,
Etienne