[Samba] Help, problem with new passwords

Michael G. Noble mnoble at rfmagic.com
Wed Feb 12 16:05:19 GMT 2003

If the users do not need UNIX/Linux access then you can have samba do
domain authorization.  This way the user passwords are received from
the NT PDC/BDC.  All you need to do is have a dummy account for each
user in the password file so that they would have a UID and GID and be
able to be added to groups.  The passwd entry field would be disabled,
the home would be /dev/null and the shell would be /bin/false.
I have done this a other companies for users who only needed PC
access to the shares and it worked great.

Mike

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 07:53, Aldo Damian Ambriz Martinez -- Unix
SysAdmin wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> Now I have a big problem, the NT Team decide to change all the user's
> passwords, I have a UNIX Box with samba with security = user, almost all
> the users make a connect to the samba box, before the passwords were
> changed they were able to connect it but now they aren't able to
> connect. I changed the passwords with smbpasswd user but it doesn't work
>
> Any idea???
>
> Thank you!!!
>
> ----- configuration file -------
> [global]
>   workgroup = mydomain
>   netbios name = server
>   netbios aliases = Ser_samba
>   security = share
>   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
>   log level = 2
>   max log size = 3076
>   encrypt passwords = no
>   password level = 8
>   username level = 8
>   hosts allow = IP List
>   interfaces = IP
>   unix password sync = no
>
> [coldnet]
>    comment = coldnet
>    path = /export/ecnet/coldnet
>    valid users = @coldnet
>    public = no
>    writable = yes
>    printable = no
>    browseable = yes
>    case sensitive = no
>    follow symlinks = yes
>    create mode = 0640
>    directory mode = 0750
>    force user = coldnet
>    force group = coldnet
>
> --
Michael G. Noble			RF Magic, Inc.
Senior System Administrator		10182 Telesis Ct., 4th Floor
					San Diego, CA.   92121
email: mnoble at rfmagic.com		voice: (858) 546-2401 x207
					fax:   (858) 546-2402
--