[Samba] samba config help please

Dave Bateman batemand at InfowareSystems.com
Tue Feb 11 21:37:33 GMT 2003

I have a rh8.0 server that I'm trying to configure. The PDC is an NT box
providing domain logins,  and for the moment all I want Samba to do is
provide storage. I would like for all the users to be able to access
individual private shares acording to their respective accounts, and one
large share for common usage. Presently, all of the w2k/xpPro boxes can both
see the shares and map them. The individual shares are asking for passwords,
which is good, but none of the passwords I know of work, at least not in
user/password format. The public share maps for the w2k/xp boxes but won't
allow anything to be saved there. Running 'smbpasswd -j <domain> -r <PDC> -U
<NT Admin>' hasn't worked, it just says 'can't join <domain>'. Any insight
would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Dave

smb.conf:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from RHserver.infoware (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2003/02/11 16:28:21

# Global parameters
[global]
      workgroup = INFOWARE
      netbios name = RAID
      server string = Samba Server %v
      interfaces = 192.168.1.2/24
      security = DOMAIN
      encrypt passwords = Yes
      obey pam restrictions = Yes
      password server = 192.168.1.180
      pam password change = Yes
      passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
      passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
*passwd:*al
l*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
      unix password sync = Yes
      log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
      max log size = 0
      preferred master = False