[Samba] Re: Duplicate name error when joining XP to Samba domain (Solved)

Stephen Lee splee at plexio.com
Tue Feb 11 20:41:27 GMT 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:34:38 -0800, Stephen Lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems trying to join my XPpro boxes to a Samba (2.2.7a)
> domain. I was able to get 1 XP box to join (the very first one) but the
> rest complain about a duplicate name on the network just after I enter
> the root/pw when joining the domain. None of the smb user names are in
> common with the machine names.
>
> The NT4 workstations have no problem joining the samba domain. All
> workstations were previously on another PDC (an NT4 server on the same
> network). DHCP server is on a Linux firewall and all machines get the
> same IP lease based on MAC address.
>
> Here's what I've tried:
>
> - Checked /etc/passwd and /etc/samba/smb.conf to ensure machine name
> entry correct.
> - Ran "net use * /delete" to make sure no connections present. - Moved
> from Domain1 to Workgroup and tried to move to Domain2. - Changed the
> SID on the second XP box (just in case workstations were built with
> Ghost) - SignorSeal registry hack applied (forgot actual name). -
> Disabled Domain member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data
> and Domain member: Digitally sign secure channel data (when possible) -
> Turned off NT4 PDC (workgroup = GLASS) - Tried workgroup = GW (just in
> case GLASS and GLASSWORLD perceived to be the same domain)
>
> Portion of my smb.conf:
>
> [global]
>
>    workgroup = GLASSWORLD
>    netbios name = TS1
>    server string = Samba Server
>    printcap name = /etc/printcap
>    load printers = yes
>    printing = cups
>    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>    max log size = 5000
>    security = user
>    encrypt passwords = yes
>    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd unix password sync = Yes
>    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n \
> *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
>    pam password change = yes
>   obey pam restrictions = yes
>    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192 dns proxy
>    = no
>    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>    admin users = root, administrator
>    domain logons = yes
>    domain master = no
>    logon drive = X:
>    logon home = \\ts1\%U
>    logon script = logon.bat
>    logon path = \\ts1\profile\%U
>    os level = 99
>    preferred master = yes
>    wins support = yes
>    log level = 3
>    time server = yes
>

> Any suggestions appreciated. Just shout if you need some diagnostics.
>
> Thanks,
> Stephen

FYI, it turns out that it was a DNS problem. Once I added the workstation
names and corresponding IPs to the Samba PDC /etc/hosts file, the XP boxes
happily joined the new domain.

BTW, contrary to above, you do need "domain master = yes" and the bit
about only the first XP box being able to join the domain was probably a
red herring. I don't know why though.

Stephen