[Samba] Joining PDC w/LDAP Question

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue Feb 11 20:26:13 GMT 2003

> Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:58:22 -0500
> From: "Samba Newsgroups" <john.peak at mckesson.com>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: [Samba] Joining PDC w/LDAP Question
> Message: 15
>
> Should I be required to add the machine to my passwd file even if I am using
> LDAP when joining a W2K domain domain?

No, an LDAP account is enough, as long as your box is setup to retrieve
user information from ldap (ie via nss_ldap).

> The only way I can get a machine to
> join my Samba PDC is via the following commands.
>
> # /usr/sbin/useradd -g 100 -d /dev/null -c "asa" -s /bin/false asa$
> # smbpasswd -a -m asa

Does 'getent passwd machinename$' return a valid entry on your DC? It
needs to at present (samba-2.2.x).

> I thought that using ldapsam would lookup all machine information from LDAP
> without having to deal with passwd.  Any comments would be appreciated.
> Thanks.

Mandrake packages have this example:
# Script for domain controller with LDAP backend for adding machines (please
# configure in /etc/samba/smbldap_conf.pm first):
; add machine script = /usr/share/samba/scripts/smbldap-useradd.pl -w -d
/dev/null -g machines -c 'Machine Account' -s /bin/false %u

Where we provide the smbldap-tools (in examples/LDAP in the souce) in
/usr/share/samba/scripts

Buchan