[Samba] Problems loading printer list using Samba 2.2.7a with CUPS

Sean Millichamp sean at compu-aid.net
Tue Feb 11 16:40:57 GMT 2003

I am using Samba to successfully load the printer list directly from
CUPS with one fairly significant caveat.

If a printer is added to CUPS while Samba is running there is apparently
nothing I can do to have it visibly appear when doing a list of the
services in Samba (such as with "smbclient -L").  This is also a problem
if Samba starts before CUPS in the boot sequence.

I find that this is a significant problem because Windows XP will
apparently not let you add a printer (even if you specify it's path by
name) if you can't see the printer listed when doing "smbclient -L".
Restarting Samba shows the printers in the share list and allows XP to
add them.

Is anyone else seeing this problem and is there anything I can do to fix
it?  Restarting Samba isn't a very practical solution every time a
printer is added.

My smb.conf has these printing related options set:
   printcap name = cups
   load printers = yes
   printing = cups

Thanks,