[Samba] NT4 with Samba PDC Domain Admin Privs

James Read james at physicalsegment.com
Tue Feb 11 15:25:15 GMT 2003

Hi there,

I'm running FreeBSD 4.7-Stable with Samba 2.2.7. I have two windows machines, one running windows 2000 sp3 and one running windows NT 4 sp6a. Samba is corectly configured to run as a PDC with each machine trust account.

On the freebsd box i have created a group called 'domainadmin' and in that i have put the user 'james' i want to have with admin privs. 'james' is also under group 'wheel' aswell.

in /usr/local/etc/smb.conf  i have added the line

 domain admin group = @domainadmin

This works fine with windows 2000. I can logon in with the user 'james' and have admin privs, such as to change network settings and so on.

The problem lies with domain admin user rights with the NT box. As i said the problem doesnt exist with w2k. Everytime i logon to the NT4 box as user 'james' all i get is user privs and not admin privs.

I have even read up about having domain group ,domain user and local group maps and they have not made a difference. I still logon with user rights instead of admin rights on the NT4 box.

Can anyone can figure this one out?

James.

Many thanks .