[Samba] security = domain

Pierrick Brossin pbrossin at swissgeeks.com
Tue Feb 11 14:36:28 GMT 2003

Quoting adam newton <a.newton at worc.ac.uk>:

> For example, I'm setting up a samba server on a windows 2k network. I
> use security=domain and password server = <name of PDC>. This means that
> all incoming connections to the samba service are checked against the
> authentication mechanism on the PDC, rather than locally. The samba
> server trusts the PDC to only authenticate valid domain users, and the
> PDC trusts the samba server to only allow connections from
> PDC-authorised users.

Hi !

--
Currently, domain security in Samba doesn't free you from having to create
local Unix users to represent the users attaching to your server. This means

So where is the advantage to use a Samba server against a NT server ?
My boss asked to install a freebsd machine with Samba and try to give
different access to different users from our NT PC on some shares.

If I have to enter the 60 people that are working here on my freebsd server
it's gonna take long and it's static. Everytime a new guy start here I'll
have to add it to the freebsd server...

My boss told me to look around 'users mappings'

Any idea how it works ?

Thanx

--
Pierrick Brossin