[Samba] samba, winbind, 2k PDC and dynamic home shares?

adam newton a.newton at worc.ac.uk
Tue Feb 11 12:56:37 GMT 2003

Hi again all,

First of all, apaologies if this message is replicated on a news server, my new server died on me, so I've moved to supernews and will be posting to the mailman list instead for this.

Anyway, I have a quick question about winbindd and PDC user home shares...

I have gone through all the usual steps for setting up a Samba (2.2.7 /
RedHat 8.0) fileserver, and have a simple, basically functional server
offering services to the NT domain. However, on the NT-facing daemon, what
is the proper way to get home shares to work, and to get them
automatically created and managed by winbind?

Here is the relevant, Winbind chunk of my smb.conf... Pretty much standard
here:

winbind separator = +
winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind gid = 10000-20000
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
template homedir = /home/winnt/%D/%U
template shell = /bin/bash

The authentication part seems to be working - the relevant users have
access to the relevant shares, but not home directories as yet.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do next to get the home
directories going? Any thoughts and / or snippets of smb.conf would be
appreciated!!

Cheers,

Adam Lee Newton, MSc
~