[Samba] trouble joining domain

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue Feb 11 11:34:33 GMT 2003

> Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:23:37 -0500
> From: "Jim Wharton" <creole3 at bellsouth.net>
> To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: [Samba] trouble joining domain
> Message: 8
>
> I have added a machine account to /etc/passwd named luna$ and in smbpasswd
> named luna. When I attempt to join my Win2K box to the domain, I get this
> error.
>
> The following error occured attempting to join the domain:
>
> The account used is a computer account. Use your global user account or
> local user account to access this server.

# smbpasswd -a

Then use 'root' as username and the smbpasswd you just entered as the
password.

> I am using openldap if that makes any difference.

If you are using the ldap backend to samba, you probably want to make an
ldap account instead of a local account, on Mandrake you should
configure /etc/samba/smbldap_conf.pm and then:

# /usr/share/samba/scripts/smbldap-useradd.pl

You also need to configure samba for ldap, and give samba the password
for the ldap dn it uses (see the smbpasswd man page).

(read the help, and then add an account as with useradd, but ensure you
make a machine account).

Buchan