[Samba] Samba getting user info from NT PDC

Pierrick Brossin pbrossin at swissgeeks.com
Tue Feb 11 10:21:33 GMT 2003

Hi!

My boss asked me to be able to share some directories on a FreeBSD Samba server
with users already created (and used) on a NT 4.0 PDC server.

So I followed http://www.sugoi.org/bits/index.php?bit_id=10

I just replaced the Windows 2k part by adding the NetBIOS name of the machine to
the NT PDC.

When I did the smbpasswd trick it worked like charm:

testsmb# smbpasswd -j CH-DOMAIN -r PDC
2003/02/11 10:11:23 : change_trust_account_password: Changed password for domain
CH-DOMAIN.
Joined domain CH-DOMAIN

The trouble is when I make a share on my Samba server and I try to access it
from a Windows machine connected to the NT PDC it keeps asking the password and
never enters the share.

What I need to do is to share a directory. Try to enter it from a Windows
machine which is connected to the NT PDC. Samba asks the NT PDC if the user is
valid and if so it enters the share.
But it doesn't work at all.

Any idea ?

Thanx !

Here is my smb config file:

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = CH-DOMAIN
	netbios name = TESTSMB
	server string = TESTSMB Server
	interfaces = 10.41.0.39/24
	security = DOMAIN
        password server = PDC
	encrypt passwords = yes
        update encrypted = yes
        unix password sync = yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
        remote announce = 10.41.0.255
	log file = /var/log/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	load printers = no