[Samba] HP Deskjet drivers, Samba and Cups

Sandro Hannemann sandro at nat.vu.nl
Tue Feb 11 09:19:20 GMT 2003

I had similar problems using HP Deskjet 970CXi....

I also tried to setup a printing server using Samba 2.2.7a and Cups 1.1.18.
From linux clients I had no problems using the foomatic driver.
In order to be able to access the printer from a W2K-client I added to
smb.conf:

use client driver = yes

( that driver download thing, seamed to be kind of overkill for one Windows
client....)
I did that raw-printer setup thing under cups, and got the same result:
something like "format-not-supported" appeared in the "log.smbd"
Then I tried to setup the printing command by adding

print command = lpr -P %p %s -oraw -s

to the smb.conf.
Still the same....
Then I read the manualpages of smb.conf
there it is written, that using printcap = cups disables any manually set
printing commands, so I set

printing = BSD
printcap file = /etc/samba/printcap

in the smb.conf,
while /etc/samba/printcap
contains the manually edited line

hp|HP DeskJet 970CXi via Samba

finally the cups-system has now the printer queue hp using that foomatic
driver (which is useful for all linux clients). The printing option is set to
BSD, but still it prints to the hp-queue of cups, so it's finally working
properly, but its not that straight forward, as the guys suggest in the
documentation, I'd say.

Sandro