[Samba] HP Deskjet drivers, Samba and Cups

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Feb 11 00:00:45 GMT 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Nick Gale wrote:

> I have Samba 2.2.7 running on Redhat 8 (fully updated). I have two printers
> set up - a laser and a Deskjet 920C both connected to the Redhat server via
> USB cables. Printing is managed using CUPS although I get the same problem
> with LPR and Webmin configured printers. The laser works fine, the deskjet
> doesn't. The deskjet works with a generic windows HP Deskjet or HP Deskjet
> plus driver in black and white but if I use the actual 920C driver (Or any
> other DJ ***C driver for that matter) the print jobs appear to spool but
> never arrive at the printer. You see a file being generated in the Samba and
> Cups spool directory but in the Cups spool directory thay appear briefly and
> then vanish, for jobs that do make it to the printer the file is present for
> longer as the printer loads the file.
>
> I can only assume this is a problem with Samba or Cups with HP desklet
> drivers? Has anyone else seen this? Any Idea?

Configure a RAW CUPS printer for the HP9x0C if you install the HP9x0C
driver on Windows.

If you want to install the printer in CUPS with the CUPS driver for the
HP9xC, then install you Windows printers as Postscript printers and let
CUPS convert from postscript to HP DJ format.

Both the above work for me. I have set up several sites with HP940C
printers and my own network has HP PhotoSmart P1000. All work find from
both Linux and Windows. For Windows I prefer to print to a RAW CUPS
printer and use the HP940C driver on each MS Windwos machine. Your mileage
may bary!

Best advice is to read the CUPS Printing HOWTO that will be in
Samba-3.0.0.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra