[Samba] HP Deskjet drivers, Samba and Cups

Nick Gale nick.gale at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 10 20:22:24 GMT 2003

I have Samba 2.2.7 running on Redhat 8 (fully updated). I have two printers
set up - a laser and a Deskjet 920C both connected to the Redhat server via
USB cables. Printing is managed using CUPS although I get the same problem
with LPR and Webmin configured printers. The laser works fine, the deskjet
doesn't. The deskjet works with a generic windows HP Deskjet or HP Deskjet
plus driver in black and white but if I use the actual 920C driver (Or any
other DJ ***C driver for that matter) the print jobs appear to spool but
never arrive at the printer. You see a file being generated in the Samba and
Cups spool directory but in the Cups spool directory thay appear briefly and
then vanish, for jobs that do make it to the printer the file is present for
longer as the printer loads the file.

I can only assume this is a problem with Samba or Cups with HP desklet
drivers? Has anyone else seen this? Any Idea?

Thanks

Nick Gale