[Samba] Samba and OS X

jonr at destar.net jonr at destar.net
Mon Feb 10 21:50:15 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 14:08, Jon Reynolds wrote:
Hi,

> 	I have a samba server on freebsd4.7 using samba-2.2.6.p2_1. When from
> command line I mount a share from our file server I can edit and copy
> any file or document and save it back to the fileserver no problem.
>
> 	If I mount the share on my desktop I can edit and copy any file or
> document but I cant save it back to the fileserver. I get a permission
> denied error. This happens on both my RH7.3 and my OSX 10.2.3 systems.
>
> Is there a setting I can put in my smb.conf file to fix this?
>
> Jon

This is now working for us. Here is what we did to make this work.

There are two possibilities to what made this work. One is what was told
to me about creating '.' files for the Macs. The Macs create a '.' file
in the directory to, I'm assuming, hold the resource fork for the file
so the Mac can read it. The other solution might have been that when I
looked back inot the ServerFiles share on the server I noticed there
were already some '.' files created by the Macs. One of these was called
'.FBCLockFolder' I deleted all the '.' files that I found to be created
by the Macs and everthing is working as expected.

Unfortunatley, I tried both solutions at once so can't say for sure
which one was the fix. But I have posted both solutions in case anyone
else runs into this problem.

Jon