[Samba] Samba/Windows XP and SSH tunnelling

Noel Kelly nkelly at citrusnetworks.net
Mon Feb 10 19:24:07 GMT 2003

You cannot forward UDP using SSH.  This is why the hack to set the remote
server's Netbios name to 127.0.0.1 using lmhosts is used.

I tried this before and it seems that Windows 2000/XP refuse to load the
loopback address as a valid netbios destination IP.

Can the original poster tell me what happens when he tries to ping the
remote hostname?  Does he get replies from 127.0.0.1?  Or does it just not
resolve and using 'nbtstat -c' shows no evidence of it being loaded from the
lmhosts?  I suspect the latter - try changing the entry in lmhosts to
something other than the loopback and then do a 'nbtstat -R' to flush the
cache.  An 'nbtstat -c' will then show it listed in the cache.

HTH
Noel