[Samba] CUPS or LPRng?

Jon Niehof jniehof at paladigm.com
Mon Feb 10 15:08:09 GMT 2003

> Not only did it fix their issues, but it gives them a nice
> web-based administration interface where they can delete jobs if one does
> happen to get stuck.  Setup was much easier than I thought it would be and
> definitely easier than LPRng if you haven't done work with lpd before.  We
> were using HP Laserjet printers which were natively supported by CUPS.
As a counterexample I had a *hell* of a time getting CUPS
going and the web interface still dies on me whenever I try
to do anything from it. Now that it's configured though it's
  been solid and reliable as long as I stick to command line.

CUPS really seems to be the wave of the future though and
certainly a lot of the filter/driver support is centered on it.