[Samba] CUPS or LPRng?

Trey Nolen tnolen at internetpro.net
Sat Feb 8 15:51:04 GMT 2003

I've used LPRng for years, but recently we had one client that had printing
problems we just couldn't fix.  We switched them over to CUPS and I was very
impressed.  Not only did it fix their issues, but it gives them a nice
web-based administration interface where they can delete jobs if one does
happen to get stuck.  Setup was much easier than I thought it would be and
definitely easier than LPRng if you haven't done work with lpd before.  We
were using HP Laserjet printers which were natively supported by CUPS.  We
have decided to make CUPS our default printing system for future installs.

Trey Nolen

> Which is better to use on a large Samba print server only being used a
print server for Windows clients?