[Samba] Changing SID on Windows boxes (plug)

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Fri Feb 7 21:51:14 GMT 2003

This sounds like an advertisement, but I've got nothing to gain. Just
thought you might like to know about this.

If you're cloning a bunch of Windows boxes, you'll have a problem with
SID's... they'll all be the same. That's a bad thing. Maybe you have a need
to change a SID... perhaps a dual-boot box where you want the computer names
and IP addresses to be the same. This is all assuming you have the proper
number of software licenses, of course.

If you go to the Sysinternals website ( http://www.sysinternals.com/ ) you
can download NewSID, a free SID changing program. Source code is available.

For more info on NewSID, go to
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/newsid.shtml

I have NOT tried this software, so I can't help you use it.

--Jonathan Johnson
jon at sutinen.com