[Samba] problem with password setup

Brett brett at smart.net
Fri Feb 7 16:06:11 GMT 2003

I have been trying to samba 2.2.7a.  I have been having a problem with the
password configuration.  I have looked at many of the guides, and I have not
been able to produce a working environment.

I had the server set to encrypt passwords, and that allowed the machine to
log in, but the user's could not change their passwords.  When I added the
registry entry in the source distribtion, the situation got worse.  The
computer log's in, but then gives an error message that it could not get the
roaming profile and all the disk mounts hae failed for password problems.
The type of system is a Windows 2000 client, although I have also been
trying with a WindowsXP client.

Can someone advise on what could be wrong and what the current setup's
suggested for passwords.

Thanks