[Samba] Rejecting User

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Feb 7 17:03:48 GMT 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Mike Stewart wrote:

> I do not know if you need to use smbpasswd when you have "security=USER"  (I
> have security=SHARE)

If your MS Windows client does not support plain text passwords then you
need MS encrypted passwords at the samba end.

Your choices are:

1) Use smbpasswd to add the MS encrypted passwords to your smbpasswd
database

2) Apply the registry hack to all your MS Windows machines to re-enable
plain text password support. BEWARE: Microsoft have NOT maintained plain
text password support too well. After a while (5-15 minutes of non use)
the MS Windows client may dropt the connection. When you try to use the
resource it will try to reconnect - but MS Windows caches only the MS
encrypted hash, so that is what it uses to reconnect. This of course
fails! So what this means is that plain text password useage is NOT a good
idea.

- John T.