[Samba] login scripts and netdrive mapping Win95

megemen at arcor.de megemen at arcor.de
Fri Feb 7 16:54:59 GMT 2003

Hi there,

I have configured Samba so that it acts as a PDC in an environment of Win9x/NT/2k workstations. It also serves as a logon server. So far, so good.

Case 1: I setup the parameter logon drive = z:

If I login from the Win95 client I see that z has not been mapped to the \\server\homes\userid. In the network neighbourhood it is being listed and I can manually map drive z to the home share of the user, too. On the other hand, when I login from WinNT, I do not need to do anything, because the mapping is already established.

Case 2: I remove the parameter logon drive = z: from smb.conf.

I get the same results like the Case 1

Case 3: I setup the parameter logon drive = m:

Again the same results like the Case 1

Case 3: I put in the logon script: net use m: /home

Again the same results like the Case 1

Is there a way where I can determine by login that the user gets its home folder mapped to a specific network drive letter irrespective of the Windows architecture the user logges into?

Thanks for a feedback

Egemen