[Samba] Performance Issue: Red Hat vs SuSE

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Fri Feb 7 14:33:45 GMT 2003

Hi All,

A couple of days ago I posted a query here about the loss of performance on
my backup server after I moved from Red Hat 7.3 to SuSE 8.1.

It appears as though, with no hardware or script changes, that my backup
process takes 4 hours longer with SuSE 8.1.

I'm doing (what I think is) a very simple script that basically employs
SMBMOUNT, CP, and DIFF.  Like this:

mount -t smbfs -o username="domain_name\admin_username", \
	password=<proper-password> //machine-name/sharename$ \
	/mnt/mount-point
cp -a /mnt/mount-point/ /backup
diff -r brief /backup/mount-point /mnt/mount-point
unmount /mnt/mount-point

Can someone here tell me why, by just changing distributions, I've increased
my backup time by about 50%?

Both setups use Samba 2.2.5

The system's specs are:
Celeron 800 (100MHz FSB)
320MB of PC100 SDRAM
NetGear FA311TX 10/100 NIC running at 100Mb/s
Maxtor ATA-133 PCI Controller
1-7.5GB ATA-66 IDE HD for the OS
2-40GB ATA-100 IDE HD in Software RAID0 for "/backup" mount point
	Each Drive is "Master" on own IDE Interface of Maxtor Controller
	No additional drives on either chain of Maxtor Controller
-->	I used 'hdparm' to verify that the configurations for all HDs was
optimal. ie, using DMA, proper UDMA mode, 32-bit transfers, etc.

Any help or guidance will be appreciated.

Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager
Nesbitt Engineering, Inc.