[Samba] Active Directory - Which Samba version is needed?

Guenther Deschner gd at suse.de
Fri Feb 7 10:51:42 GMT 2003

hi alexander,

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 10:06:43AM +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to setup a Samba server which should do user authentication
> against an Active Directory.  Our AD admins told me, that we do not have
> Window NT 4.0 Domains available.
>
> What I'm trying to accomplish, is that the users can login with the same
> username/password they use with the AD.  Also, if the password is
> changed in the AD, this change should be reflected on the Samba server.
>  It doesn't have to be the other way arround - ie. the Samba server
> doesn't have to be able to do password changes.

you should set up samba with winbindd to achieve this.
http://de.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#WINBIND

> The reason is, that I need a way for the Windows users to access files
> on NFS shares.

maybe you should give us more details on this. how do you plan to restrict
access to these shares?

bye,
guenther
Guenther Deschner                                         gd at suse.de
SuSE Linux AG                                        GnuPG: 8EE11688
Berliner Str. 27                      phone:  +49 (0) 30 / 430944778
D-13507 Berlin                           fax:  +49 (0) 30 / 43732804