[Samba] Rare problem with MS Office shared docs

Jorge Videgain Marquez jvidegain at caeslan.com
Fri Feb 7 08:42:29 GMT 2003

Hello

I was working with an old version of Samba (2.0.6) and all was working
correctly but i have installed a new version (2.2.3) and problems has
started.

The smb.conf file is the same that i was using at prior version (i have
included it at end of file)

The problem seem to be only with MS Office shared files. When an user modify
or write a new MS Office file nobody else than the owner can modify it, he
can only read it. I have check file permissions and are set to 0777 so i dont
understand why this is happening.

I have created TXT file and this problem dosent happen.

I have chaged permissions to:
        create mask = 0777
        force create mode = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        force directory mode = 0777
and even so, problems dosent desapear.

Only way i have found to make ir work is to force user and force group to an
specific one, but i lose information about who create or modify the file.

Can anybody help me?

Regards

Guanche

------------ smb.conf file ---------------------

[global]
        workgroup = INTER_RED1
        netbios name = CACHO1
        netbios aliases = VIRTUAL
        map to guest = Bad User
        passwd chat = *nuevo*password* %n\n *nuevo*password* %n\n *cambiado*
        log file = /etc/samba/log.%m
        time server = Yes
        keepalive = 30
        lm announce = False