[Samba] Re: Samba and quotas

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Fri Feb 7 08:00:20 GMT 2003

>I'm using Samba 2.2.7 + XFS (1.1) + ACL + quotas on a Linux
>machine with kernel 2.4.18. What I want to ask you - is
>Samba's quota support reliable enough so I can use it at
>commercial environment ? (I'm asking because of experimental
>flag at --with-quota in Samba .configure file)

Quotas are a property of the underlying fs. I use reiserfs
and it works for me. When a group or user remains exceeds
soft limit longer than the grace period then at a point
they/he/she/it can't allocate more space getting instead the
error that there is no space left on the device. Which is a
little misleading. You have to inform your users to interpret
it in the context of available space on the volume. If the
space is still there, then it was the quota that was exceeded.

I included a little modification in swat to list all quotas
with usage and grace periods remaining under "Status", ahead
of all other stati. And I also put a little icon on the
desktop labelled "Quotas" which lists the same thing in a DOS
box. The tab-aligend "repquota" report is a bit too messy so
I have a little awk formatter to align the columns. I'll
post it if it's necessary.