[Samba] Broadcast message with smbclient -M

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Fri Feb 7 02:07:27 GMT 2003

I don't know of a simple broadcast method.

To broadcast to all clients on your network, I can think of two possibilities.
There is a findsmb Perl script which comes with the samba. With nmbd turned
off, it will look for responding machines.
Or, if you have a wins server,
smbclient -L winserver will list all the servers known to it.

After that, you have to write a script, I guess.

If you just want to broadcast to some clients, this could be another simple
script.

script:
#!/bin/bash
cat MyMessage | smbclient -M netbios1 &
cat MyMessage | smbclient -M netbios2 &
cat MyMessage | smbclient -M netbios3 &

Then, put your message into file MyMessage and run the script.

To be more organized, you could keep all your users in one file, users:
netbios1
netbios2
netbios3

Then, your script might be :

#!/bin/bash
for i in `cat users`
do
cat MyMessage | smbclient -M $i &
done

I haven't tried any of this stuff out, but, it sure looks simple.

Forget the "user interface" for this stuff. You are better off without it.

Joel