[Samba] Win98 policies,profiles and logon scripts

joe.morin at dominiondiagnostics.com joe.morin at dominiondiagnostics.com
Thu Feb 6 19:17:27 GMT 2003

John,
      Do I need a machine account for this win98 machine? I have them
auto-created for Win2k and WinXP machines, but I haven't created one
manually, and it didn't get auto-created.

Thanks again,

Joseph Morin
Dominion Diagnostics

             John H Terpstra
             <jht at samba.org>
             02/06/2003 01:22          joe.morin at dominiondiagnostics.com
                                       Michael Paarmann <mp at squit.de>, ""
                                       <samba at lists.samba.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Samba] Win98 policies,profiles
                                       and logon scripts

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 joe.morin at dominiondiagnostics.com wrote:

> Here's my smb.conf file.

Joe,

Looks OK. How are your Win98 configured?

1. In TCP/IP is WINS IP Addr. set to the IP Addr. of your samba server?

2. Have you installed the Client for Microsoft Networks?
             - configured it to 'Log onto Windows NT Domain'?
                         - set the correct domain name

3. Set the 'Client for Microsoft Networks' as the 'Primary Network Logon'?

4. Set the workgroup name (under 'Identification') to the same as your
domain name?

- John T.

> Thanks for the help!
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>       workgroup         = DOMAINNAME
>       netbios name            = SERVERNAME
>       security          = USER
>       hosts allow             = 192.168.1., 192.168.0., 127.
>       name resolve order      = host bcast
>       wide links        = No
>       follow symlinks   = No
>       socket options          = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
>       invalid users           = bin daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail
news
>       time server       = yes
>       encrypt passwords       = yes
>       unix password sync      = yes
>       passwd program          = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>       passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *retype*new*password* %n\n
> *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully.*
>       os level          = 255
>       wins support            = yes
>       local master            = yes
>       preferred master  = yes
>       domain master           = yes
>       domain logons           = yes
>       Domain Admin group      = @domainadmin
>       logon home        = \\%L\%U\.profile
>       logon drive             = H:
>       logon path        = \\%L\Profiles\.%U
>       logon script            = %G.bat
>       add user script   = /usr/sbin/useradd -g 201 -d /dev/null -s
> /bin/false -M %u
>
> #
> # PDC shares
> #
>
> [netlogon]
>       comment           = Network Logon Service
>       path              = /home/samba/netlogon
>       browseable        = no
>       writable          = no
>       share modes             = no
>
> [Profiles]
>       path              = /home/samba/profiles
>       browseable        = yes
>       writeable         = yes
>       force create mode       = 0660
>       force directory mode    = 0770