[Samba] Win98 policies,profiles and logon scripts

joe.morin at dominiondiagnostics.com joe.morin at dominiondiagnostics.com
Thu Feb 6 17:47:29 GMT 2003

Here's my smb.conf file.
Thanks for the help!

# Global parameters
[global]
      workgroup         = DOMAINNAME
      netbios name            = SERVERNAME
      security          = USER
      hosts allow             = 192.168.1., 192.168.0., 127.
      name resolve order      = host bcast
      wide links        = No
      follow symlinks   = No
      socket options          = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

      invalid users           = bin daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail news

      time server       = yes

      encrypt passwords       = yes
      unix password sync      = yes
      passwd program          = /usr/bin/passwd %u
      passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *retype*new*password* %n\n
*passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully.*

      os level          = 255
      wins support            = yes
      local master            = yes
      preferred master  = yes
      domain master           = yes

      domain logons           = yes
      Domain Admin group      = @domainadmin
      logon home        = \\%L\%U\.profile
      logon drive             = H:
      logon path        = \\%L\Profiles\.%U
      logon script            = %G.bat
      add user script   = /usr/sbin/useradd -g 201 -d /dev/null -s
/bin/false -M %u

#
# PDC shares
#

[netlogon]
      comment           = Network Logon Service
      path              = /home/samba/netlogon
      browseable        = no
      writable          = no
      share modes             = no

[Profiles]
      path              = /home/samba/profiles
      browseable        = yes
      writeable         = yes
      force create mode       = 0660
      force directory mode    = 0770

#
# User H drives
#
[homes]
      read only         = No
      create mask             = 0644
      browseable        = No

#
# Shares
#
[public]
      comment           = Public Share
      path              = /data/public
      writeable         = yes
      create mask             = 0664
      directory mask          = 0775
      guest ok          = yes

#
# End config file
#

Joseph Morin
Dominion Diagnostics

             Michael Paarmann
             <mp at squit.de>
             02/06/2003 12:29          joe.morin at dominiondiagnostics.com
                                       samba at lists.samba.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Samba] Win98 policies,profiles
                                       and logon scripts

Hi !

Please post your smb.conf . It may help to solve your problem.

Regards,
Michael

At 12:10 06.02.2003 -0500, you wrote:

>I am running Samba 2.2.3a and have my users logging into the 'samba
>domain'.  My WinNT and WinXP users are working fine with roaming profiles
>and policies.  My problem is my Win98 users.  The logon script doesn't
seem
>to be working, i.e. when I log onto a Win98 machine (logging into the
>domain), the logon script doesn't run.  I have opened up the permissions
>the logon script (for testing) and that doesn't seem to help, it's still
>not running.
>
>Also, I have implemented a domain policy to 'exclude directories in
roaming
>profiles', namely temporary internet files, cookies, etc.  This policy
>works fine for WinNT but doesn't seem to work for Win98, is this a
>'feature' of WinNT and not Win98?  I did create separate policies for
WinNT