[Samba] Samba quotas (one more)

Dan Bar Daniel.Bar at seznam.cz
Tue Feb 4 23:56:08 GMT 2003

Hello again (I hope it's not too much to have two questions in one day :),

Currently I'm testing quota support on Linux system with kernel 2.4.18 +
XFS 1.1 patch + Samba 2.2.7 (--with-quota compiled) and I went into one
really unpleasant problem when accesing Samba share from Windows 2000
SP3 with Total commander 5.5.

When user reach soft limit, then he'll get a warning message "Low space,
do you want to continue ?". Copy can be forced and up to this moment
everything is ok.

But at moment when trying to copy a file which will cause to overreach
hard quota limit, then happens this:

- warning message is displayed but user is allowed to enforce copy.
- Windows then displays error message windows with (translated):
"Delayed write failed ... Data were lost"
- Destination file has same size as source, but content is different!
- Any further copy try will fail with message "Write protected ..."

So where is the problem? Is it bug in Samba (quota support is in
.configure file announced as experimental), XFS quota support, or in
Total commander (since same action made with Windows Explorer is ok,
copy over hard limit is denied).

In case you think it's not a bug (or some kind of misconfiguration),
does other OS's /filesystems behave the same way ?

Thanks a lot in advance for any answer,

Dan