[Samba] Win98 policies,profiles and logon scripts

joe.morin at dominiondiagnostics.com joe.morin at dominiondiagnostics.com
Thu Feb 6 17:10:09 GMT 2003

I am running Samba 2.2.3a and have my users logging into the 'samba
domain'.  My WinNT and WinXP users are working fine with roaming profiles
and policies.  My problem is my Win98 users.  The logon script doesn't seem
to be working, i.e. when I log onto a Win98 machine (logging into the
domain), the logon script doesn't run.  I have opened up the permissions to
the logon script (for testing) and that doesn't seem to help, it's still
not running.

Also, I have implemented a domain policy to 'exclude directories in roaming
profiles', namely temporary internet files, cookies, etc.  This policy
works fine for WinNT but doesn't seem to work for Win98, is this a
'feature' of WinNT and not Win98?  I did create separate policies for WinNT
(ntconfig.POL) and Win98 (config.POL).  Other settings within the policy
ARE working, for example, restricting the screen saver tab on the display.

Joseph Morin
Dominion Diagnostics