[Samba] Copy User/Pass from Samba to WinXP

Jean-Rene Cormier jean-rene.cormier at cipanb.ca
Wed Feb 5 20:57:56 GMT 2003

Ok I have a samba server that I use for file sharing, I have a lot of
trouble with it and I want to see if putting those shares on a WinXP box
would work better. But we don't have a domain here, just workstation in
a workgroup and I was wondering if there was a way I could copy all
user/pass from the samba server to the Windows box so that transfering
the shares from Samba to Windows would be transparent to them. I would
do that in the off hours of course. I don't need to sync the password
after that since it'll only be for a short period of time to see how
well or not it works. Like if I use the passwords in the smbpasswd file
is there a way I can import them in windows? I don't care if I have to
enter every user into the windows box by hand but I don't want to ask
everybody to retype their password for that.

And please don't reply if it's only to tell me to stay away from windows
or something like that, it pissed me off enough already today.

Thanks

Jean-Rene Cormier