[Samba] Samba with windows 2000

Gary Lopez gary at catapult.com
Wed Feb 5 19:19:17 GMT 2003

Hello,
	I am trying to get samba to work with a windows 2000 machine as a PDC
nd solaris 8. I have already joined the domain. I can run getent passwd
and I can see DOMAIN\users. I can do a smbclient -L <PDC> -U
Administrator and that works fine. Doesn't list my shares from my UNIX
server but it lists what the PDC is sharing. I have samba running on a
machine that is not running NIS or has any users in the passwd file but
has the users home directory on it. It's basically a standalone machine
that all it does is file sharing. When I run samba I can see all the
shares but I cannot create/delete anything in the home directories. When
I make a directory/file (777 permissions ) I see the file is now owned
by DOMAIN/user:DOMAIN/domain. Do I need to have UNIX names and passwd on
this system for it to work or do I need to run PAM modules w/out
creating the user name and passwd, or do I need to install on a machine
that runs NIS to have the username and passwd validated ?