[Samba] joining xp to domain

Kyle Loree kyle at caisnet.com
Wed Feb 5 18:41:48 GMT 2003

I have a mac osx 10.2.3 as a server, anyone unfamiliar with it, it uses
admin as main user.  root is still on the system.  Admin is admin of the
password server which is required to login to samba.  therefore root can't
be the one to join.  yet admin doesn't have rights to modify smbpasswd.

I know the smb.conf config should work.
I have added the users and machines using smbpasswd successfully, I can
connect to the shares over the network.
Somehow I have to force admin to be able to modify smbpasswd to allow for
the users.

the only pertinent info out of the logs,

unable to open file
unable to open passdb database
unable to open file /var/db/samba/smbpasswd.  Error was permission denied.

[global]
	local master = YES
	guest account = unknown
	encrypt passwords = YES
	max smbd processes = 0
	print command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess printps %p  %s
	lpq command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess jobs %p
	lprm command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess remove %p  %j
	lppause command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess hold %p  %j
	lpresume command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess release %p  %j
	printer admin = unknown, @staff
	server string = Mac OS X Server
	log file = /Library/Logs/WindowsServices/WindowsFileService.log
	netbios name = onpaserv
	workgroup = WORKGROUP
	log level = 2
	wins support = YES