[Samba] Mailing list HOWTO (Unofficial)

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Feb 5 18:23:25 GMT 2003

Jon,

Thank you so much for this VERY timely reminder of good netiquette.
Well done.

Please everyone, remember that it takes a lot of time to answer questions.

Over the past 3 months I have spent an average of 6 hours per day
answering requests from this list. I just checked my sent-mail folder and
am surprised to see 387 responses to people who asked for help from this
list. If you work this out, it equates to an average of 10-15 minutes per
reply. Now that time DOES include research and finding a solution.

What the above shows is that when you make a request you are asking
someone to invest their time in helping to solve your problem. Each of us
who respond have other competing interests and responsibilities. The
quality of your request influences how much attention you will receive.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org