[Samba] Samba printer sharing problem

Adam Bowns adam-bowns at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 5 18:00:42 GMT 2003

I'm having some problems sharing my printer with samba. The printer
works fine locally, but whenever I try to connect to it from a windows
machine i get the error message "Access denied, unable to connect"

the parts of my /etc/smb.conf concerned with printing look like this

   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

   printing = lprng

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printer = raw
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes

And my /etc/printcap looks like this

Print:\
        :ml#0:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/Print:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/Print/Print.acct:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/usb/lp0:\
        :lpd_bounce=true:\
        :if=/usr/share/printconf/util/mf_wrapper:

Seen as its an access denied error i though it could be to do with the
permissions of /var/spool/samba but they are set drwxrwxrwt which as far
as i know is correct.

The ip of the server  is 192.168.0.2. and from the windows machine I am
trying to connect by typing \\192.168.0.2\printers

I am new to the world of samba so if I'm betting i've made an obvious
mistake somewhere along the line.

Thanks in advance,
Adam