[Samba] Controlling use of roaming profiles

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Feb 5 17:22:24 GMT 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> If you want a 'real' read only profile, look into the
> 'vfs_fake_perms.so' VFS module in Samba HEAD.  It fakes up the
> permissions on the files being sent to the client, so that you don't
> need to keep them read/write on the server.

Well done - you sure did not waste any time doingthis man!

> > By default all MS Windows roaming profiles are 'user' centric. I do not
> > know of a way to do this on a 'machine-of-origin' basis. I am working on
> > this for a presentation at the SambaXP conference so I am interested in
> > any of your findings.
>
> I was thinking we could play silly buggers with %m to allow this - have
> the PDC return different profile paths.  The interesting case here is
> getting this to work when samba is a acting as a trusted domain.

Now that is neat! Why di M$ not think of that. It means we can set up a
profile path for the user in the backend and still keep the profile
mobile. Isn't that a bit twisted? I like it!

> (BTW, Samba 3.0 works very nicely being trusted by NT4 at my site).

Good, but how did you set up the trust relationships?

Keep up the good work, and the progress. This is exciting.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org