[Samba] Printing to a Win95 with attached Local Printer

Ron Bramblett bramblet at fuller.com
Wed Feb 5 16:04:31 GMT 2003

Hello,
I have a question about samba and printing.

I am running Linux RedHat 7.3 and installed the Samba from the install
CD. (Samba 2.2.3a)

I have a "Using Samba" Book from O'Reilly, it talks about Samba 2.0.5a,
but I was hoping that somethings would be the same.

On the RH Box I have a printer (actually it is on the network) but it is
in the printcap file. It is a IBM Network 17, it prints a header page
and extra garbage during a test print (not the question here and now)
but it prints when I print to it from Win95 box.

Now I have a HP 4 Si printer connected as a local (parallel) printer
from the Win95 box. (Shared as RonTest)
    I set up the printcap using RH7.3 printtool and pick the samba printer
    This sets the scripts.cfg file with the shared printer name etc.
    after installing the printer in printcap I restart the LPD and then
restart smb daemons.
    Next a lpr -P Test5 (name of printer in printcap) command is issued.

I look at the printer from the RH box and it just show it is retrying.
Nothing works or prints.

Any ideas of what to do to fix it??

Thanks for your help in advance.

--