[Samba] Create smbpasswd file from /etc/passwd on Solaris?

mark lists at xinot.net
Wed Feb 5 15:33:55 GMT 2003

On 2003.02.05 14:53 Alan Bradley - CPX WC wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would appreciate some assistance on how to create the smbpasswd file
> from
> the existing /etc/passwd file ?
>
> The version of samba is 2.0.7 and it is running on Solaris 7 and
> Solaris 8.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Alan.
> --
I don't use Solaris, but if it is like most other *nix type systems
then you can't actually create a smbpasswd file from an /etc/passwd
file.  This is because the information stored in /etc/passwd is a hash
of the password (and sometimes a couple of additional letters) and is
actually made to not be decrypted.  When you logon to the system it
creates a hash of the password you type in and compares that to the
hash in /etc/passwd.

Watch this space, because I am sure that if I am wrong someone will
notice that and write in.

mark