[Samba] Re: Redhat ACL support

Chris de Vidal cdevidal at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 5 15:21:30 GMT 2003

--- David Gibbins <dgibbins at city.orillia.on.ca> wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a RedHat 8 fileserver, it must
> work seamlessly within
> our 2000/NT network. After some research, I believe
> the first thing I need
> to do is install ACL support.
> I tried doing this once, didn't go well, had to
> reinstall RedHat.
>
> What files do I need and from where, to install ACL
> support for RedHat 8?

I set up Samba+ACLs on 7.3 but it's basically the same
thing.

They removed ACL support from 8.0's kernel.  Patch the
RedHat kernel sources with a patch from
acl.bestbits.at (you might need to download more
current kernel sources though).  Then compile the RPM:
vi Makefile
Change the rpm -ba command at the bottom to rpmbuild
-ba.  rpm -ba is no longer supported in 8.0.
make dep rpm

RedHat includes acl libraries and binaries on the 8.0
CD.  Check that they're installed:
rpm -q acl libacl
If not, install them.  They might need attr/libattr as
well.  I also installed an updated fileutils from
acl.bestbits.at since 'ls -l' was broken.

Install your new kernel and reboot.

Try to remount with the new ACL options:
mount / -oacl,remount
mount | grep acl

If that worked, put the acl option in /etc/fstab:
LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults,acl 1 1

Reompile a Samba RPM to include ACL support.  I wrote
about this earlier this week.  Search
marc.theaimsgroup.com.

Resources:
Sam's "Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours" - current and
useful
http://acl.bestbits.at/ - LOTs of ACL documentation
http://tldp.org/ - HOWTOs
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/ - Searchable Samba
mailing list archives
http://redhat.com/ - Documentation on building a
custom kernel and RPMs.  Don't recall if the kernel's
"make rpm" is in there; I just learned that one from
reading the Makefile.
http://google.com/ - Search The F'ing Web (STFW)

Please RTFM/STFW before asking questions (not saying
you didn't, just making you aware).  People certainly
don't mind answering questions if you show effort (:

/dev/idal