[Samba] Problem changing settings on printer driver

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Wed Feb 5 10:37:58 GMT 2003

Hi,

I've run a Samba server happily for some time now, and all my users are
printing via it. The printing works like so:-

User prints from application on an NT4 workstation to a Samba printer
Samba picks up job and hands it off to LPRng
LPRng directs job to the appropriate network printer.

The printer drivers are installed on the local machines, and automagical
driver download is *not* being used - this was all setup with Samba 2.0
originally, and I've never got around to updating the configuration to
take advantage of the new spoolss code.

Some time ago, we upgraded from 2.0.7 to 2.2, and have since had
problems with some users. In particular, for new users, it seems to be
impossible to change the printer driver properties on the workstation.
Users set up on the 2.0 system are fine, but I cannot go into the
printer settings for an HP 8100 on a newly installed machine in order to
tell the driver the printer has a duplex unit - the option is
premanently greyed out.

Nothing about this setup has changed except the version of Samba, so I'm
assuming it must be something to do with that, but I've no clue what.
I've tried logging in as different users on the basis that it might be
permission based, but both NT Administrative and Samba root equivalent
users can't change this.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, as this is starting to become a
problem.

Mike.