[Samba] please help me.....

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Wed Feb 5 01:03:34 GMT 2003

]On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 16:52, Adil Hussain wrote:
> yes you are right there is no need for this account ,
> i only need account of root user, but i am still
> confuse about how many account i need and what type
> of.
> my windows box name is adil, please tell me how many
> accounts i need and of what privilege.
> also when i give right login/password it says "The
> specified user does not exist" and when i give wrong
> Login or password or both it says "Logon failure :
> unknown user name or bad password"
> why is it so behaviour?
okay
the computer names should not be the same as usernames (it's too
confusing - see the relevant rfc on computer naming)

you need 2 accounts for every user (one samba account, one unix account)
with the same username.

In addition you need 2 accounts for every machine in the domain (samba
and unix)  these must look like machinename$

I use ldap for my accounts db so I can have one account per user
instead.

so for your account
you need a useraccount "adil" in the unix /etc/passwd and also in
/etc/smbpasswd
in addition you need  you need
"adilspc$" in both password databases.

to do the domain joining you need the root account to be in both
/etc/passwd and /etc/smbpasswd.

this is all covered in the howto collection...

brad

--
Bradley W. Langhorst <brad at langhorst.com>