[Samba] Controlling use of roaming profiles

Jonathan Gowland jgowland at genaware.com
Wed Feb 5 00:03:41 GMT 2003

We are using a system running Red Hat Linux 7.0 with Samba 2.2.7a as
our PDC.

For the most part, we want to use roaming profiles, so that users'
settings are backed up via the PDC, and are available if they need to
change or reinstall their Windows desktop machine.  However, there are
a few Windows systems (running NT 4.0 or Windows 2000) for which
we would like to be able to disable roaming profiles.

Atlas is a system running Windows 2000 server.  It is a member of the
domain.

On a system running Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server edition I did the
following:

- Logged on as local administrator.

- Ran poledit.exe.

- Added machine Atlas.

- Double-clicked Atlas icon.  Under "Windows NT User Profiles"->"Choose
   profile default operation", selected "Use local profile".

- Saved as NTConfig.pol and copied to the root directory of the netlogon
    share.

When a user does a domain logon on Atlas, the Samba log log.atlas does
not show NTConfig.pol being accessed.  When the user logs off, updates
to the user's profiles are saved.

Agrigento is a system running Windows 2000 Workstation, and is also a
member of the domain.  I ran poledit.exe as above, but added a computer
entry for Agrigento, and saved NTConfig.pol.

When a user does a domain logon on Agrigento, the Samba log
log.agrigento shows NTConfig.pol being accessed. However, when the user
logs off, updates to the user's profiles are saved, so the policy change
in NTConfig.pol seems to have no effect.

So what am I doing wrong?  Is it possible to disable the use of roaming
profiles on a per-machine basis?  (I've been told that you can do this
on a per-account basis, but this is not appropriate for our needs.)

--

Jonathan Gowland
GenaWare