[Samba] Not able to login to Samba PDC : The specified user does not exist

Adam Smith adam.smith at sageautomation.com
Tue Feb 4 23:53:38 GMT 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 12:07:32PM -0800, Adil Hussain said:

>    add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g
> machines -s /bin/false -M %u

What does this do exactly?  I can see it runs this command as the user add script, but what sequence of events needs to happen for this to occur?

>     ;sync UNIX passwords
>      unix password sync = yes
>      passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>      passwd chat = *New*UNIX*passwd* %n\n
> *Retype*new*UNIX*passwd* %n\n
> *Enter*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
> *Retype*new*UNIX*passwd* %n\n *passwd:
> *all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

How and when does this work?  If you specify a user's password upon creation of their account, you need to first (at least in my experience) specify a unix password, then a smbpasswd.  How does this synchronization work, and what exactly does it do?

Can it be used to synchronize other machines?

--
Adam Smith
Information Technology Officer

adam.smith at sageautomation.com