[Samba] Winbind Corrupting Win2k Domain Controller Machine Password

David Farrick DavidFarrick at blairortho.com
Tue Feb 4 22:45:04 GMT 2003

For some reason winbind seems to be corrupting my Win2k machine password.  I can enumerate users and groups on my Samba server, but then I lose all my active directory information because the Win2k server machine password gets corrupted or changed.  Once I reset on the Win2k machine using nltest /server:<server> /sc_machine_pw:<domain> all is fine and active directory is enabled. I'm using Win2k SP3.

Is it because of the password sync/chat?

Here's my global section of smb.conf:

[global]

   workgroup = ABCD

   domain master = no
   local master = no
   preferred master = no
   os level = 0

   winbind separator = +
   winbind uid = 10000-20000
   winbind gid = 10000-20000
   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes

   server string = Samba Server %v

   security = domain

   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

   unix password sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

   wins server = 192.168.16.2

   dns proxy = no

David Farrick
davidfarrick at blairortho.com