[Samba] spurious domian login problems

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Feb 4 17:23:17 GMT 2003

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Urs Rau wrote:

> We have a few win9x workstations, that have spurious login
> problems. They get the message:

I would seriously check my networking hardware:

	NIC's, wiring, HUBS.

Also:

Make sure you are using WINS for name resolution.

Your symptoms look like network timing problems or like bad packet
problems. You might use a sniffer (like ethereal) to capture the logon
sequence. Examine the trace of a good logon and a failed one to see what
specific bits of information were bad in the lead up to the failed logon.
Keep a close check on the timings between events. It may help to locate
the cause.

- John T.

> No domain server was available to validate your password you
> may not be able to gain access to some network resources.
>
> The passwords are definetly correct and the problem will
> sometimes disappear after 5 - 10 retries, but almost always after
> a full restart of the win9x PC, very occasionally it takes as many
> as 5 reboots before it logs in to the domina again.
>
> All I can find in the log.nmbd file around that time is
> a "code = 0x0" returned instead of the usual 0x12 or 0x7. Does
> this give anybody a clue as to what is going on. Or is looking at
> log.nmbd a waste of time. I simply can't find an entry that would
> be relevant in the log.smbd around that time.
>
> I am running at loglevel 3 how high should I go to get more details
> to help debug this problem?
>
> successfull logins appear to have either code 0x12 or 0x7 and
> only the failed logins appear to have code 0x0.
>
> [2003/01/11 18:32:20, 1]
> nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(70)
>   process_logon_packet: Logon from 192.168.1.122: code = 0x12
>
> [2003/01/11 17:22:21, 1]
> nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(70)
>   process_logon_packet: Logon from 192.168.1.26: code = 0x7
>

> [2003/01/04 11:51:06, 1]
> nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(70)
>   process_logon_packet: Logon from 192.168.1.197: code = 0x0
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Urs RAU
>
> Head of Information Services OM UK HeadQuarters
> | Operation Mobilisation, The Quinta, Weston Rhyn, OSWESTRY |
> | SY10 7lT, UK, FAX: +44-1691-778378, TEL: +44-1691-773388  |
> | Email: urs.rau at uk.om.org                                  |

John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org