[Samba] Samba 2.2.7a / XP / Printing

Matthew Bernstein matthew.bernstein at globalmaritime.com
Tue Feb 4 16:54:49 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have a number of printers set up under Samba on a Linux box, using the
default spoolss mode.

We are experiencing a number of problems with printing, and I would like to
eliminate the unnecessary step of spooling on the client (as I suspect this
may cure some/all of them).

For some reason however, when I go to the advanced properties on the printer
driver dialog on the client, and select "Print directly to printer",
although the options appears to set, when I re-enter the dialog, it has
reverted back to spooling.

FWIW, I am a domain admin on the network which is specified in the printer
admins line in my smb.conf, and I do not understand why this problem is
caused by printers shared from Samba - surely the spooling setting is a
client thing, nothing to do with the printer server?!  None the less, this
problem is consistent and unique to the samba printers.

Matthew.

PS.  Apologies to anybody reading the newsgroups for the duplicate post, but
I only twigged too late that all the posts had come through this mailing
list.