[Samba] Problem: Samba terminates

Wolfgang Goldbach w.goldbach at callassoftware.com
Tue Feb 4 16:07:10 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have at home two PC's, one is running Windows 2000, the other SuSE Linux
7.3. (Samba 2.2.1) They have a direct Ethernet connection.
The Problem I have with Samba is that when I copy a big file (i.e.30 MB) in
what ever direction and more than one file is to copy, the network
connection terminates after the big file is copied. I must then restart the
Linux machine to make the network work again.
When I have hundreds of small files it works in both directions.

In the samba log file with log level 10 I found the following entry as the
last that belongs to the file copy action:

[2003/01/07 23:52:47, 3] smbd/server.c:exit_server(483)
  Server exit (caught signal)

When I'm locally on the Linux machine then after the big file was copied the
cp command doesn't return, I have to kill it.
The last kernel message is:

smb_request: result -512, setting invalid

I have changed the smb.conf file a lot but the problem is always the same.

The latest thing I tried was to read the network HowTo's and to change the
network addresses, but this also leaded to no improvement.
The only Idea I have is that the network terminates itself when for 10
seconds or so no communication on the net occurs.

Wolfgang