[Samba] some permissions issues

Kurt Weiss input.maillists at kwnet.at
Tue Feb 4 14:35:19 GMT 2003

>I log on the domain as admin user(root), and theres a pub share, on witch
>everyone needs to have permission to create / modify files, but when I
>change or create a file, only root can change the file, no one else. And
>then i need to go to server to chgrp users * -R and chown nobody * -R to
>allow others users to change the file.

the problem is, that the file get's the primary group from root!!! - so
if u use 0XX0 permission, other people have no access to the files.

give the directory the right group and use the gid bit.
e.g.:
directory: rights: 2770 / owner: somebody.win

in smb.conf:
directory mode=2770
create mode=0660

so everybody of the group "win" has access to the data. even if "root"
creates a file..