[Samba] Win 2000 & XP Printer problem

Ron Bombard ronb at nativetextiles.com
Tue Feb 4 14:03:47 GMT 2003

I'm running Samba 2.2.5 on HP-UX 10.20.

I've recently started adding WinXP (and 2000) clients to my network.
Here's my issue:   (It seems to effect both the XP & 2000 machines)

I installed a WinXP machine on the network.   I was able to add a
bunch of samba-networked printers to the Xp machine.

I recently added 2 new printers to the network.   I added the
printer names to my samba "printcap" file.   I'm able to add
these printers to any Win98, 95 machines.   But my WinXP machine
doesn't see them.  Even if I don't "browse" for it, and just type
it in manually "\\Server\printer" it errors:

"Windows cannot connect to the printer.  Either the printer name
was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its
connection to the server."

I even removed a printer from my network, removed its printer
name from the "printcap" file.    This printer STILL shows up in
WinXP.  It even lets me install it.

I've even restarted samba just for the sheer fun of it.

Is there some sort of "Cache" or something that stores this
information on WinXP machines?   Does anyone have any ideas?   It
sure would be "Handy" to be able to add printer to my network...

Thanks!
Ron